Our next recipe is ice cream with Chios mastic gum, a summer refreshment with an unusual taste.
Do you love ice cream and trying different flavours? Then try ice cream with mastic. You probably can't buy it in your local shop (unless you live on the Greek island of Chios), so we have a recipe for you.
What will you need and where to buy mastic?
Buy the necessary ingredients in your local store and buy the mastic in our e-shop. Small mastic crystals are perfect for recipes.
Always place the mastic crystals in the freezer for 30 minutes before crushing them. Crushing is much easier afterwards!
- 1/2 teaspoon mastic gum crystals
- 1/2 cup sugar (preferably vanilla)
- 1 cup whipped cream: 30%
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon mastic liqueur
How to make it:
- Crush the Chios mastic gum and sugar in a mortar.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and sugar to the boil with the mastic gum. Boil for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Beat the egg yolks until frothy and stir into the cream together with the mastic liqueur.
- Cook on low until the cream thickens.
- If the mixture is not quite smooth, pass it through a fine sieve.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator to cool.
- Freeze in a chilled container or in the freezer.
Always serve straight from the freezer. Can be served with your favourite fruit.