Mastic Gum - Properties and Storage
Instructions and practical guides on how to use, chew and take mastic gum, how to make mastic gum powder and what are the recommended doses. What is mastic gum? Mastic gum (Masticha, Mastix, mastiha) is a unique resin that comes from a tree called Pistacia lentiscus, which grows in the Mediterranean.
Properties of Mastic Gum
- Like all resins, mastic gum is susceptible to temperature changes: softer in summer and harder in winter.
- Larger pieces are usually softer than smaller ones, which dry and harden more quickly.
- In general, medium or large pieces are better for chewing and small pieces for grinding into powder.
- A more yellow colour means older and harder mastic gum, a whiter colour means fresher and softer resin. In general, we should avoid buying yellow mastic gum, as this means that the mastic gum is very old and may well have lost some of its properties.
If you are buying mastic gum, Masticlife's mastic gum powder dietary supplements, then you are guaranteed to be buying genuine original mastic gum from the island of Chios.
Masticlife Brand - Original Chios Mastic Gum
The Masticlife brand is a certified partner of the monopoly producer of mastic gum: The Chios Mastic Gum Growers Association.
Usual dosage (use) of mastic gum
It depends on which dietary supplement you use. All mastic gum capsules and sachets have the recommended dosage and method of use written on their packaging.
- Take mastic gum (capsules, sachets) on an empty stomach. It is usually recommended 30 minutes before a meal. Take the capsules with plenty of water. Masticlife capsules are HPMC vegan standard capsules. Advice on how to comfortably swallow a mastic capsule can be found here.
- Mastic gum is a resin and it does not dissolve in water.
- If in any doubt, consult your doctor.
- If the mastic gum powder sticks together due to high temperatures and becomes a single lump, the mastic gum will still not lose any of its beneficial properties or taste.
How Do I Store Mastic Gum?
- The mastic gum powder, capsules and sachets should be stored either in a refrigerator or in a very cool place where temperatures do not exceed 18 °C.
- Mastic gum powder in Strong&Pure capsules, when exposed to high temperatures, will clump together and form a single lump, as our powder is a 100% natural resin with no chemicals or any other additives to keep it in powder form.
- Store your resin in a cool place! If mastic gum powder sticks together, try to tap the container. Tapping it again may break it down into powder again. If that's not enough, try our tips: how to crush mastic gum powder.
You can use mastic gum as a regular chewing gum, or you can grind it into a powder and use it as a dietary supplement to support healthy digestion.
Mastic gum is a 100% natural product. This means that not all pieces of mastic gum (also called tears) are the same shape. Some pieces are larger, some smaller, some harder and some softer. Sometimes there is even a noticeable difference in colour.