What Is Mastic Gum Powder?
Mastic gum (Masticha, Mastix, mastiha) is a unique resin that comes from a tree called Pistacia lentiscus, which grows in the Mediterranean.
What is mastic gum powder?
It is a crushed resin that is used as a spice or in supplements. The mastic powder is filled into capsules or sachets.It is very aromatic. Mastic gum powder has a strong woody-fruity aroma and a white-yellow color.
What is mastic gum powder used for?
- Mastic gum powder (in capsules) is used as a dietary supplement. Mastic supports the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Crushed mastic gum can be mixed with salt or sugar and used as a spice.
How to crush or grind mastic gum?
Put the mastic gum crystals in the freezer for a few hours. Then crushing and grinding will be easier. Mastic gum is a resin and, like all resins, is sticky at higher temperatures. Freezing the mastic gum in advance will make your work easier!
Buy mastic gum here
Crushing with a dough roller
- Place the mastic gum crystals on a flat surface (roll or cutting board to prevent damage to the work surface).
- Cover the mastic crystals with a large piece of plastic.
- Roll the roller over the plastic until all the tears of the mastic have been crushed.
Mortar and pestle grinding
- Insert the mastic gum crystals into the mortar.
- Use a pestle to grind all the mastic tears.
- Grind the mastic to a powder.
- Put the frozen crystals in a grinder.
- The crystals are crushed quickly, usually 5-10 seconds.
- Warning! Do not grind the crystals longer than necessary, the mastic gum would heat up and stick to the blade of the grinder and the grinder itself.