Greek cooks have long used olive oils to flavour a variety of dishes. Olive oil flavoured with Chios mastic has a delicate flavour and a wide range of uses in the preparation of dishes.
Olive oil flavoured with mastic gum
However, it is used differently than mastic gum oil (we will use it in a few more recipes). Mastic gum oil is a powerful essential oil that is used in very small quantities.
- 1 tablespoon Chios Mastic Gum crystals
- 250 ml extra virgin Greek olive oil
How to do it:
- Heat 80 ml (about 3/4 cup) of olive oil and the Chios mastic gum tears over medium heat (in a non-stick pan).
- Pour into a bottle, let cool and add the remaining olive oil.
- Use immediately or store in a cool, dark place.
- Shake before use.
Buy mastic tears here.